Wednesday 9 September 2015

My painting made cut in St. Thomas-Elgin Public Art Centre show

"In View of the Artist" is a juried exhibition at the St. Thomas-Elgin Public Art Centre from September 19th until October 24th, 2015.

My entry titled "Natural Selection" is a 36" x 48" oil painting on panel. What follows is my explanation of this painting.

Elucidation:

In my view and through my eyes, I see the wonder of the natural world.
Here I’ve gathered objects that interest, inspire, and summon me to my
easel. Onto a large open white panel I’ve set leaves, vibrant, and filled
with sunlight. Venation patterns like lines on a map, reaching out to
the edge of possibilites. Next, I’ve added feathers and flowers which bring
texture and saturated colours. They display delicate patterns and symmetry.
I value and leverage the quality of the morning light. low, long shadows
stretch and reflect transparently. I am challenged to describe the scene
with my brush strokes. We all casually take note of the beauty but don’t
often register its fragility. Here, I’ve represented our planet as floating
bubbles, beautiful, but precarious, refecting the surroundings, as
I reflect on them. This paint tube is filled with new life. A canister of hope,
a vehicle to tranport my imagination. The oil-stained marks I leave relate
to nature, as nature continues to mark my work and oil continues to
stain our planet.




No comments:

Post a Comment